Ratings

RATINGS: ***** Absolutely Loved It **** Really Liked It *** Liked It ** It Was Okay * I Couldn't Finish It

Thursday 30 August 2012

Prowl by Amber Garza

Prowl
by Amber Garza
20th January 2012
Createspace

Seventeen-year-old Mackenzie Smith is sent away to spend a boring summer at her grandma's. But then she meets Wesley. He tells her exactly what she wants to hear and has information about her past that no one else knows. It's almost like he can read her mind.

Only Wesley isn't who he seems.

By the time Mackenzie discovers his true identity it may be too late. She's in too deep and he won't let her go. Now Mackenzie must call on the strongest power of all in order to save her life.

I didn’t enjoy this book and the reason for that isn’t because it is based around religion, I have nothing against Christians or Christian literature. The reason I didn’t enjoy this book is simply because of the plot and the main character Mackenzie. I felt that throughout this book, I was on the edge of my seat waiting for something to happen… and nothing did until the last few pages.

This was only a short book but Garza made it feel never-ending by dragging out the plot, I was expecting a big surprise at the end but found that when the story came to its conclusion I had already guessed how it was going to end. I had also already guessed who Rhiannon really was and what her ‘hobbies’ were, I found that Garza made everything too obvious and this only made me more and more frustrated with the plot.

I also found the main character Kenzie annoying because of her relationship with the spirit/ghost Wesley, it was clearly obvious that he was not nice/good/honest and yet she couldn’t see that until the last couple of chapters. The themes in this book are very real for a lot of women out there and because Garza has brought them to life in this book in such a real way, I have a lot of respect for her and I understand that obviously Kenzie had to be depressed/gullible for the story to work and develop but she never developed any kind of backbone. Even her attempts to get rid of Wesley were half-hearted and weak. I don’t feel that she grew as a character in any way other than finding religion and even then it wasn’t a big deal – Which I feel it should have been because this book was a story of good and evil.

I hope the next in the series shows a different side to Kenzie but unfortunately it won’t be on the top of my to-read list.

Check out Amber Garza’s website here

Rating * *

Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I've nominated you for the Beautiful blogger award. Sorry if you already got it. For more info click here: http://leopardkittybooks.blogspot.com/2012/09/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete